Majority of online auto insurance quotes are completed incorrectly.
By Ken May
With the technology that is available today, it is easy to obtain auto insurance quotes simply by going online and inputting information. In fact, even we have a link on our web site enabling people to get an auto quote through Mercury Insurance.
It seems that the Millennials would want the ability to obtain quotes using their devices without the need to talk to a pushy “insurance salesman”, right? Well, that’s not totally true. Studies have shown that most of the younger generation will shop online but prefer to speak with an agent when it comes time to decide exactly what to purchase. This is an extremely smart decision on their part because most online quotes created by the consumer are a disaster.
We recently started purchasing online auto insurance leads to “test the waters” so to speak to examine the quality of this type of lead. While the results have varied, often times it is difficult to even have a conversation with the person who attempted to go through the quoting process. Many times, they get frustrated with the process and don’t complete the quote and other times, they complete a quote which is in error, contains ridiculous coverage, and oftentimes is missing vital coverage. “Wow, this price seems really good”! It’s too bad that you don’t have the right protection to cover your assets!
We attempt to contact each lead with the goal of reviewing the information on the quote, making sure that each prospect is receiving all of the discounts that he deserves, and to have a conversation as to what each coverage means and recommend the right amount of coverage based on his own situation. And please remember, this is a free service to the prospect. People are shopping for a reason and when we offer to take a few minutes of our time to ensure that the quote is valid and accurate and to answer any questions they may have, they may have already decided that the quote is too high or undesirable based on bad input. Garbage in – garbage out but let’s not listen to a professional to fix it and receive something that they can really work with.
So what are some of the hazards of quoting your own auto insurance online?
· People don’t understand each coverage or don’t know how much of each coverage they should have.
· They don’t understand all of the discounts available which results in a higher quote lacking some serious benefits.
· The prospect inputs the wrong driving record of one or more of the drivers.
· The prospect didn’t know that their spouse received a ticket or has a suspended driver’s license. *This happens occasionally when we run reports and have to tell a client that his or her spouse doesn’t have a valid driver’s license or received a ticket that they “forgot” to mention.
· They either overestimate but usually underestimate their annul mileage which can have a substantial effect upon the rate.
· Another hazard is that somebody will obtain a quote online from only one company because “they must be good because of all of the advertising they do on TV”. *We offer each prospect our ability to shop over 40 companies to ensure that they are receiving the best value.
The bottom line is that companies make it possible for prospective clients to obtain quotes online because that it what the younger generation has asked for. But as much as the big box companies want to make auto insurance a commodity, it’s not. Not having the right coverage and the right amounts of coverage can lead to you losing most of what you have worked hard to get over the years! Isn’t a good agent willing to counsel you and work with you to get a proper policy that makes sense worth a few minutes of your time? You wouldn’t cut your own hair would you?
If you would like to speak with a licensed agent about your auto insurance, please call our office at (760) 893-8055 or via email.