TOP TEN EXCUSES FOR A CAR ACCIDENT:
· The other vehicle came out of nowhere. Oh? That magical place called nowhere?
· I didn’t hit them, they hit me. Well, you ran a red light right in front of them, so…..
· They shouldn’t have stopped in front of me. Weeellll, traffic was stopped and you did not leave enough room to brake in time, so….
· I don’t remember the accident happening so I don’t think I am at fault. Sir, the ten witnesses on the police report all confirmed that you were involved and so did the police after they arrested you for DUI.
· I thought they saw me. Better safe than sorry, always assume the other car is not aware of what you are thinking.
· My gas pedal stuck which is why I drove into a house. Well, your inspection by the police and our independent investigator say that your gas pedal is fine….
· Somebody stole my car and drove it through an airport hanger hitting 5 airplanes. Weird that you did not report it stolen prior to the accident occurring…
· Somebody waived me through to complete my left turn and I never saw the other vehicle coming opposite of me in the far lane. Sorry, but turning drivers always have the duty to yield oncoming traffic as they have the right of way
· The pedestrian jumped on my hood, I didn’t hit the pedestrian. Sorry, but the witnesses all confirm you hit the pedestrian which caused the pedestrian to roll up onto your vehicle. And you were DUI….
· The pedestrian was banging on my window so I ran them over. It is the pedestrian’s fault that I ran them over. Weeellll, no matter what the circumstances, you do not have the right to use your vehicle as a weapon. There is a law for that.
Ken's Bonus Excuse For A Car Accident (a true story!): A former client of mine struck a pedestrian that was crossing Palomar Airport Road - "He was an illegal alien so he shouldn't have been there in the first place!"